The capital and largest city is Ljubljana.
Over half of the territory is covered by forest.
In June 1991, after the introduction of multi-party representative democracy, Slovenia split from Yugoslavia and became an independent country. In 2004, it entered NATO and the European Union; in 2007 became the first former Communist country to join the Eurozone; and in 2010 joined the OECD, a global association of high-income developed countries.
- Slovenia has largest boundary with Croatia which is approximately 455 km .
- Slovenia has shortest boundary with Hungary which is approximately 102 km .
- The largest river in Slovenia is Sava which is 950 km.
- The largest export partner of Slovenia is Germany.
- The largest import partner of Slovenia is Italy.
- There are 3 seaports in Slovenia.
Mr Fritz Pregl got Nobel Prize in the field of chemistry in year 1923 "for his invention of the method of micro-analysis of organic substances".
National Facts of Slovenia#
- Carnation is the national flower of Slovenia
- The national sport of Slovenia is Alpine skiing.
- Ajdovi žganci, Belokranjska povitica, Obara are considered as favorite dishes of Slovenia.